Train to become a registered nutritional therapy practitioner
Gain a sophisticated understanding of the latest theoretical and applied knowledge of nutritional science. Undertake real-world clinical training in a supportive environment and become skilled in approaches to guide clients towards making effective and lasting nutritional and lifestyle changes. Deep dive into your chosen area of nutritional research. Explore a range of practice models to help you plan your own business, preparing you for success beyond graduation.
On this engaging and academically rigorous course, you will be guided through each subject in a way that makes it meaningful. You will learn about the principles of personalised and functional nutrition, the therapeutic effects of foods and nutrients, and the ways in which you as a practitioner can address health and wellbeing issues through nutrition and lifestyle management.
As you progress, you will be guided in developing the skills to work with clients in both clinical and non-clinical settings, and in applying a comprehensive understanding of food, nutraceuticals, the use and interpretation of testing, and lifestyle modification to your practice.
Developed from our internationally respected DipION diploma course, which was successfully taught to students from across the globe for more than 35 years, the degree course offers the opportunity to develop skills that can be applied to a new, rewarding career.
Many of our graduates go on to develop flexible, portfolio careers. On successful completion, you will be eligible to register with the UK regulator, the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC), and join the professional body, the British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine (BANT).
- Explore nutritional science, behaviour change, reflective clinical practice, and research
- Benefit from academic and pastoral support, and flexible study choices to help you balance your learning alongside your other commitments
- Access University of Portsmouth online materials
- Gain a thorough grounding in clinical practice skills, from developing theoretical practice skills to working with real clients in the Optimum Nutrition Training Clinic
- Develop skills in behaviour change and client motivation
- Prepare for business with guidance on planning for work, after graduation
- Register with the UK regulator, the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC), and join the professional body, the British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine (BANT)
- Interest-free payment plans available
The degree is a modular course. Each module sequentially builds your experience with assessment designed to meet the National Occupational Standards for nutritional therapy.
Assessment of modules is through essays. You will be supported by interactive materials and information via the virtual learning environment, RelION.
Regular contact with module coordinators and guided discussions provide you with academic and pastoral support while you learn.
Throughout your studies we encourage you to engage with course forums and to become an active member of the student body to enhance your experience and support your learning.
Tutors will engage with you via course forums and through formative activities. You will also be invited to attend prescheduled online sessions, which will provide you with an opportunity to connect with tutors and peers.
- Two A levels (160 UCAS points) equivalent, with one subject in a relevant science
- Plus at least grade C in maths or English at level 2, GCSE or equivalent
For candidates who have Level 3 or equivalent science qualifications but would like to refresh their scientific knowledge without taking an assessment, eScience Refresh provides access to a variety of online interactive study materials, videos and exercises for independent, flexible study.
Find out more about becoming a nutritional therapy practitioner